Dowhigh’s Pledge In Signing The Care Leavers Covenant
Dowhigh Limited are a Road Surfacing, Civil Engineering and Recycling Company, who have been resident in the Netherton Area of Liverpool since 1975. The majority of our work is contracted with local authorities across the Northwest.
Our company pledges to provide commercial benefits that will support employment opportunities for care experienced or vulnerable young people. This will be achieved through the delivery of educational opportunities in the form of work placements within the Road Construction Industry.
Comprising of the following roles:
- Ground operatives – flagging / stone works
- Ground operatives – drainage
- Ground operatives – plant operations
- Ground operatives – surfacing
- Civil Engineers
- Site supervisors
- Quantity Surveying
- Administration / office duties
Depending on the outcomes from the work placements, this may lead on to longer term outcomes for further opportunities such as:
- NVQ’s construction / plant
- College, University, Apprenticeships based on further educational achievements
- Offers of part time / full time employment.
The placements will be offered one placement at a time to ensure individuals receive a concentrated mentoring approach from the supervisor and team. The overall number of educational placements would be dependent on the agreed duration of each placement per year.
All candidates will be assessed individually to ensure that they will be able to perform all of the tasks safely without jeopardising their own safety or that of other members of the workforce.
Dowhigh considers the following as a preliminary programme of opportunity, which can be achieved through active educational work placements that, will guide the individuals in developing skills in the following: –
- Teamwork / problem solving / communication at all levels / planning and organising / increase confidence and self-esteem and increase self-awareness of own capabilities and responsibilities.
- The purpose / outcome will be to create awareness among individuals regarding available career options and broaden their knowledge of jobs they had not considered.
The placements are aimed at developing both a theoretical and practical understanding of the roles as mentioned, covering areas such as Stone Mason/Flagger/ Drainage/Surfacing, and making links that the individuals can associate with and applying knowledge and understanding to tasks allocated during the term of the placement. A work experience programme at Dowhigh Limited will give the individual an opportunity to gain insight into the work of a ‘Highways’ company.
Benefits to individuals:
- They will improve and learn new skills
- They may identify new interests or talents
- Understand the significance of work, and learn to adapt to a new routine and working standards
- Increase their employability for the future
- Exposure to working life will increase their awareness of different career routes and options
- improve their CV
Ultimately these opportunities could lead to furthering an individual’s education within the company or at a collage/ university for pursuing a career in construction, or support into future employment.
The company’s outcomes on the requirements of the individual placements: –
- You will be treated like an employee during their work experience
- You will always take note of and adhere to health and safety regulations
- You will be expected to complete a diary sheet at the end of each day
- You will dress appropriately for work, according to the guidance provided and wear the relevant Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for the duration of the placement.
- You will be on time
- You will be expected to ask questions
- You will be expected to complete your placement in full
- There is an expectation that they will present the findings of their placement as feedback to improve individual’s experiences and to ensure they received ample input / experience on their placement.
The specifics of the placements will be determined in consultation with the relevant individuals taking part. Dowhigh will take into consideration the individuals’ circumstances and their career aspiration to ensure their placement meets their expectations.