The Coastal Road has a history of flooding – this project was a short-term resolution to the continuing problem, until substantial funding became available for a redesign.
Installation of 24 catchpits and one penstock value.
Challenges experience and how these were overcome
- Perform works under 2 way traffic signals between the hours of 9.30 – 3.30 pm Monday to Friday, to ensure traffic flow at peak hours was unaffected.
- Perform dewatering – for each element of the works to substantially lower the water table to enable Dowhigh to install the catchpits and manholes.
Specialised equipment used
- Employed a 100 ton crane under a road closure to install the penstock value within a purpose built chamber.
- Duration: 3 months
- Date: 2014
- Location: Sefton
- Project Manager: Dave Vaughan
- Client: Sefton Borough Council